Re: 2.2.18 asm-alpha/system.h has a problem

From: Timur Tabi (ttabi@interactivesi.com)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 13:15:00 EST

** Reply to message from Peter Samuelson <peter@cadcamlab.org> on Mon, 18 Dec
2000 09:03:00 -0600 (CST)

> Not a compiler bug, a source bug of assuming a C header file can be
> included by a C++ program. The right solution, as always, is to make a
> copy of the header (assuming you really do need it) and edit the copy
> as necessary.

That just creates more maintenance problems. What if the kernel header file
changes? Then he'll have to change his copy as well. He'll forever need to
check changes in that kernel header file, or risk having an obscure bug that's
otherwise hard to track.

Yes, it's perfectly valid C, but so what? That doesn't mean that it's a good
idea. It does no harm to make a minor change to the header file to allow a C++
compiler to digest it. I consider it to be a "professional courtesy" of a C
programmer for a C++ programmer. All the C programmer needs to do is
acknowledge that someone might want to use a C++ compiler on the code, and just
make a few minor changes that have no negative affect at all.

--
Timur Tabi - ttabi@interactivesi.com
Interactive Silicon - http://www.interactivesi.com