Re: VM performance problem

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 14:09:00 EST

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, David S. Miller wrote:

> Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 13:54:56 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com>
>
> 6/ Deallocates all the buffers by running down the linked-list.

> If the program deallocates all the buffers, as in (6) above, it will
> take even up to 1 whole minute!! At this time, there is an enormous
> amount of swap-file activity going on.
>
> How exactly are these buffers allocated/deallocated? Are you
> absolutely certain that the deallocation process does not make loads
> from or stores into the buffers as a free(3) implementation would?
>
> That would cause the pages to be sucked back from swap space.

Well I just use free(), nothing more, nothing special, just like
a typical data-base program. Free should just set a new break
address after the reclaimed data falls below some watermarks it
has established. Both malloc() and free(), use already allocated
data-space for their work-space (last time I looked at library code).

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.4.0 on an i686 machine (799.54 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.