Re: iptables: "stateful inspection?"

From: Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 13:38:45 EST

Hello all!

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 01:08:07PM -0500, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 12:52:27PM -0500, Michael Rothwell wrote:
> > "Michael H. Warfield" wrote:

> > > You can use spf to add some stateful inspection for PORT mode
> > > ftp. Personally, I like the masquerading option better, though.

> > Can you give an example of using MASQ selectively? I have real addresses
> > on both sides of the firewall, but want things like FTP to work
> > correctly. I think the IPChains HOWTOs are just a little terse. :)

        Michael Rothwell kindly pointed out to me in private mail that
I SCREWED UP (he didn't say that, I did) the copy-and-past on one of
the command lines and left out a "little detail"...

> modprobe ip_masq_ftp
> ipchains -A forward -p tcp -s {Source Addresses} -d 0/0 21

        This should have been:

        modprobe ip_masq_ftp
        ipchains -A forward -p tcp -s {Source Addresses} -d 0/0 21 -j MASQ

        DOH! Sorry!

> Seems to work for me (mine includes a "tag" and a policy route
> rule to send it out my cable modem that I've left off here)...

> If you don't load the ip_masq_ftp module, you WILL get illegal
> port errors on the PORT commands.

> > Thanks!

        Mike

--