Re: recommended gcc compiler version

From: Andreas Dilger (adilger@turbolinux.com)
Date: Fri Dec 22 2000 - 13:09:45 EST

Barry writes:
> > Linux 2.2.18?
>
> gcc 2.7.2.3 is safest, but egcs 1.1.2 should be safe even for
> mission-critical stuff. gcc 2.95.2 seems to work for many people, but
> isn't necessarily safe.

Speaking of this - I had problems with a gcc 2.95.2 compiled 2.2.18+IDE patch,
yet the same kernel compiled with egcs is OK. On one system the 2.95.2
kernel complained at partition checking time, but seemed to work OK, and
on an SMP box, the kernel would just panic at partition checking time.

If anyone is interested in looking at this (gcc folks or whatever), I
have KDB in that kernel and can send you a stack trace at the panic.
Otherwise, I'll just stick with egcs.

Cheers, Andreas