Re: [RFC] changes to buffer.c (was Test12 ll_rw_block error)

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Sat Dec 23 2000 - 14:02:53 EST

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000, Chris Mason wrote:

> I've updated to test13-pre4, and removed the hunk for submit_bh.
> Looks as though pre4 changed the submit_bh callers to clear the dirty
> bit, so my code does the same.

Basically, I wanted to think of "submit_bh()" as a pure IO thing. When we
call submit_bh(), that is basically the same as "statr IO on this thing".
Which implies to me that submit_bh() doesn't care, or know, about why the
higher layers did this.

Which is why I prefer the higher layers handling the dirty/uptodate/xxx
bits.

                Linus