Re: Abysmal RAID 0 performance on 2.4.0-test10 for IDE?

From: Ian Stirling (root@mauve.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Dec 26 2000 - 14:52:55 EST

> On Tue, 26 Dec 2000, Felix von Leitner wrote:
> > Thus spake Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br):

> > > Your program reads in data at 30MB/second, on a memory bus
> > > that most likely supports something like 60 to 100MB/second.
> >
> > 100.
>
> So that's 30% for the UDMA controller and maybe
> 30% for the CPU (if your program reads in all the
> data).

Where are you getting 100MB/s?
The PCI bus can move around 130MB/sec, but RAM is lots faster.
A single PC100 DIMM can move 800MB/sec.
This P100 laptop I'm typing on gets better than 100MB/s ram reads.

Anyway, in clarification, Rik mentioned that two reads from different
disk (arrays?) on the same controller at the same time get more or less
the same speed.