Re: CCFOUND and more

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Wed Dec 27 2000 - 23:22:59 EST

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000 21:11:14 +0100,
"J . A . Magallon" <jamagallon@able.es> wrote:
>Solving other things, I have realized that all that problem on fast
>CC detection (CCFOUND) is easily solved by doing:
> CC := $(.................)
>instead of
> CC = $(.........)
>The find of the suitable CC command is repeated many times along a
>kernel build. And CC is not anything that can change along a kernel
>build. So former syntax solves all the problems, CC detection can
>be so complex as you want because is done only once.
>
>Is there something I am missing ?

Yes. Some arch files change CROSS_COMPILE after CC has been set and
expect the change to flow into the definition of CC. This "feature"
only works because '=' stores the value as text and reevaluates the
text each time, automatically picking up any changes to CROSS_COMPILE.
Using CC := might break m68k and mips. The makefile redesign for 2.5
will fix this problem once and for all.