Re: ext2's inode i_version gone, what now? (stable branch)

From: Andreas Schuldei (andreas@schuldei.org)
Date: Sat Dec 30 2000 - 06:54:17 EST

* Andreas Schuldei (andreas@schuldei.org) [001229 22:08]:
> However a real problem (for me) is that the author (whom I can not reach by
> email) build stegfs on top of the ext2 filesystem. There he uses ext2's inode
> structure and at some places reads/writes from ext2 inode's i_version.
> However, this is not there in ext2_fs_i.h. But I am working with source for
> 2.2.18 and a lot could have happend since 2.2.14. I would not have expected
> the inode struct to change, though.
>
> Why was it taken away? How is compatibility maintained? What could I use
> instead to fix the problem?

Now I think i_version was moved from ext2_fs_i.h (struct ext2_inode_info) to
fs.h (struct inode). stegfs still has i_version in it's own stegfs_inode_info.
I guess to cleanly move the stegfs from 2.2.14 to 2.2.18 it would be good to
not have a own stegfs i_version. Are there any mean, hidden, desasterous
implications waiting if I move it?