Re: VIA IDE controller strangeness (2.4.0-test12/test13-pre5)

From: Matthias Andree (matthias.andree@stud.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Sat Dec 30 2000 - 12:34:14 EST

To: should be fine as well, I assume.

> I'm having a strange problem with my IDE controller. I believe (and
> that's what Windows and the m/b manufaturer -- PC Chips -- say) that I
> have a VIA PCI BusMaster IDE controller, and I've had some strange
> history with it. I've asked many people before on various help
> services, and I was able to fix my problem with the 2.2 series, but
> now my fix does not work.
>
> THE PROBLEM: ------------
>
> Ever since the 2.2 kernel series (I remeber this working properly in
> 2.0.36, without the conflicts), I would get hdc: lost interrupt during
> boot up, and my system would take bloody ages to boot up and load a
> CD. I tracked it down to a strange IRQ conflict in which Linux would
> try to assign both the primary and secondary IDE channels IRQ 14,
> causing IRQ conflicts galore. I was able to fix this by giving the
> kernel
>
> ide1=0x170,0x376,15
>
> at boot time. This has worked for 2.2.12-.17 and Alan's 2.2.18pre21
> (I haven't compiled the official 2.2.18 yet, but I'm sure it will
> work).

Could you report the chip set type and revision? Quote the corresponding
parts from the "lspci -v" output, please. I've been using PC Chips main
boards with VIA chip sets without IDE difficulties ever since I bought
one of those in fall 1998. (VIA Apollo MVP3 AGP, VT82C598 + VT82C586
north+south bridges), both PC Chips M577 and Tyan Trinity S1590S.