Re: [RFC] Generic deferred file writing

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Sat Dec 30 2000 - 17:44:56 EST

On 30 Dec 2000, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> One other thing to think about for the VFS/MM layer is limiting the
> total number of dirty pages in the system (to what disk pressure shows
> the disk can handle), to keep system performance smooth when swapping.

This is a separate issue, and I think that it is most closely tied in to
the "RSS limit" kind of patches because of the memory mapping issues. If
you've seen the RSS rlimit patch (it's been posted a few times this week),
then you could think of that modified by a "Resident writable pages Set
Size" approach. Not just for shared mappings - this is also an issue with
limiting swapout.

(I actually don't think that RSS is all that interesting, it's really the
"potentially dirty RSS" that counts for VM behaviour - everything else can
be dropped easily enough)

                Linus