Re: [RFC] Generic deferred file writing

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Sun Dec 31 2000 - 11:50:04 EST

On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 08:33:01AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> By doing a better job of caching stuff.

Caching can happen after we are been slow and we waited for I/O synchronously
the first time (bread).

How can we optimize the first time (when the indirect blocks are out of buffer
cache) without changing the on-disk format? We can't as far I can see.

It's of course fine to optimize the address_space->physical_block resolver
algorithm, because it has to run anyways if we want to write such data to disk
eventually (despite it's asynchronous with allocate on flush, or synchronous
like now). Probably it's a more sensible optimization than the allocate
on flush thing. But still being able to run the resolver in an asynchronous
manner, in parallel, only at the time we need to flush the page to disk, looks
nicer behaviour to me.

Andrea