Re: Crypto in 2.4

From: Jon Masters (jonathan@easypenguin.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jan 06 2001 - 18:29:55 EST

Marc Mutz wrote:

> A 2.4.0.1 should be on ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/crypto/v2.4/.
> But it has been heavily re-worked. I haven't got my hands on that one
> and will keep quiet as to what extend that patch is produiction-ready,
> but I remember that the loop driver in 2.4.0 still can stall your box.

Hmmm, it's magically appeared :P

As far as the stability goes, this is one of my current hang-ups - I've
heard about the loopback stuff in 2.4. I want to use 2.4 but I can't use
any of my systems without crypto (and hence loopback) since key personal
data is stored therein and I don't want to sacrifice stability.

> Since the kerneli crypto relies on loop, this would count in favor of
> "don't do that yet".

Indeed. I wish I could help improve things - I'm not really in the game
yet although I want to be and I am working towards that.

> BTW: You might want to join linux-crypto@nl.linux.org (majordomo) if
> you are interested in kerneli.

Indeed I am interested - I've been using it for quite some time - I
really don't know why I overlooked that list.

jcm mails majordomo...

Jonathan.

--
 ________oooo_________ jonathan@jonmasters.org.uk _________oooo________
| Technical, Easy Penguin.  +44 777 61 31337       GPG keys available. |