Re: DRI doesn't work on 2.4.0 but does on prerelease-ac5

From: Michael D. Crawford (crawford@goingware.com)
Date: Mon Jan 08 2001 - 13:35:43 EST

OK, I built XFree86 4.0.2 and DRI seems to be working for me now under
2.4.0-ac4. (Starting with 2.4.0, it wouldn't, this is with an ATI XPert 2000
AGP).

BUT - although /var/log/XFree86.0.log documents the startup of DRI, DRM and AGP,
and states the info about their initialization and stuff so that it looks like
they're working, I don't notice any performance difference running any of the
Mesa-3.4 demos whether or not I use DRI, and whether I run 4.0.1 or 4.0.2.

This makes me suspect it's not really working, or else my build of the Mesa-3.4
library wasn't configured right - but note that if I disable DRI, one of the
Mesa demos will comment that it's not available.

A specific example is Mesa-3.4/demos/gloss. It's a rotating textured cylinder
that is partially reflective of what seems to be a landscape that is in front of
the screen being reflecting back to the viewer. I get a pretty consistent 7.5
frames per second:

- in 4.0.1 with no DRI
- in 4.0.1 with DRI
- in 4.0.2 with no DRI
- in 4.0.2 with DRI

Having agpgart and drm/r128 compiled in or as modules also doesn't appear to
make a difference.

The frame rate for gloss drops to about 3.5 if I run geartrain (another demo)
alongside it. Geartrain by itself seems to be about the same speed in all
cases, though it doesn't report a number.

There are a couple benchmarking tools in Mesa if someone wanted hard numbers
from me.

Can anyone suggest any 3D code that I can download that does more complex things
than the mesa demos that I can test this with?

Is my DRI really working? If not, any tips on getting it to do so?

Mike

--
Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/