Re: Problem with module versioning in 2.4.0

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Wed Jan 10 2001 - 19:37:14 EST

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:17:41 +0000 (GMT),
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>jeremyhu wrote
>> See below for my origional problem. It seems the problem lies in the
>> module versioning option.
>
>Not quite

Probably is.

>> When the system boots, I am spammed with the following line:
>> insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.0/kernel/net/unix/unix.o: insmod net-pf-1
>> failed
>
>What happens is this
>
>kernel needs unix sockets
>kernel invokes modprobe
>modprobe opens a unix socket
> kernel needs unix sockets
> kernel invokes modprobe

kmod.c has code to catch that recursive case and abort it. The problem
is not the loop per se, it is caused by that insmod unix.o failing on
every attempt. That is almost certainly caused by bad symbol versions.
See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s8-8.