Re: Where did vm_operations_struct->unmap in 2.4.0 go?

From: David Woodhouse (dwmw2@infradead.org)
Date: Sun Jan 14 2001 - 04:43:21 EST

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Keith Owens wrote:

> This is becoming more important as the kernel moves towards hot
> plugging devices, especially for binary only drivers. It is far better
> for the kernel community if modutils can say "cannot load module foo
> because its interfaces do not match the kernel, upgrade module foo".
> That forces the maintenance load back onto the binary supplier and
> removes the questions from l-k, including many of the oops reports with
> binary only drivers in the module list.

No. The correct response to that is _already_ "You have a binary-only
module. Even in the kernel it was compiled against, you are not supported.
Goodbye".

To quote our Lord and Master:

(http://lwn.net/1999/0211/a/lt-afs.html)

(http://lwn.net/1999/0211/a/lt-binary.html)

kaos@ocs.com.au wrote:
> Ignore the fact that the existing module symbol version implementation
> is broken as designed. http://gear.torque.net/kbuild/archive/1280.html
> lists the major problems with make dep, genksyms has all those problems
> plus several of its own. As part of the Makefile rewrite for 2.5, I am
> redesigning module symbol versions from scratch.
>
> I agree that inter_module_xxx does not check ABI. That was not for
> lack of trying, but it cannot be done in 2.4, it needs a major redesign
> of module symbols and the makefiles. It will be possible in 2.5.

This is a good thing, as long as it doesn't get in the way of real
functionality. We don't _need_ to make life easier for people running
binary-only modules. But if we can do it without making life harder for
real people, then that's nice.

--
dwmw2