Re: ide.2.4.1-p3.01112001.patch

From: Jamie Lokier (lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jan 14 2001 - 14:38:23 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
> I think its significant that two reports I have are FIC PA-2013 but not all.
> What combination of chips is on the 2013 ?

Reading through my mail logs, I know a board, either FIC PA-2011 or FIC
PA-2007 (I seem to have changed my mind somewhere in history) with a
6.4G Quantum Fireball ST, 64MB RAM and an AMD K6-233. The chipset
reports as VIA VP2/97; sorry, I do not have access to get the PCI IDs.

It locks up with DMA enabled, typically after a few hours, and has done
that since 2.1 kernel days.

Unfortunately it locks up with Mandrake 7.2 which is not very old (based
on 2.2.17 kernels -- it's not my PC any more but I installed Mandrake on
it recently).

Kernel option "ide=nodma" fixes this -- no lockups.

After that "hdparm -X34 -d1" enables DMA and the board remains reliable.
I observed one lockup in several years, while X was starting so it could
have been X. -X34 does not change the results of "hdparm -t".

Note that "hdparm -X34 -d1" enables old DMA, not UDMA. (The board was
advertised as UDMA capable but it isn't AFAIK).

enjoy,
-- Jamie