Re: Is sendfile all that sexy?

From: Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 15 2001 - 15:33:51 EST

Ingo Molnar writes:
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Jonathan Thackray wrote:

>> It's a very useful system call and makes file serving much more
>> scalable, and I'm glad that most Un*xes now have support for it
>> (Linux, FreeBSD, HP-UX, AIX, Tru64). The next cool feature to add to
>> Linux is sendpath(), which does the open() before the sendfile() all
>> combined into one system call.

Ingo Molnar's data in a nice table:

open/close 7.5756 microseconds
stat 5.4864 microseconds
write 0.9614 microseconds
read 1.1420 microseconds
syscall 0.6349 microseconds

Rather than combining open() with sendfile(), it could be combined
with stat(). Since the syscall would be new anyway, it could skip
the normal requirement about returning the next free file descriptor
in favor of returning whatever can be most quickly found.