Re: Is sendfile all that sexy?

From: David L. Parsley (parsley@linuxjedi.org)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2001 - 10:46:03 EST

Jakub Jelinek wrote:

> > This makes me wonder...
> >
> > If the kernel only kept a queue of the three smallest unused fd's, and
> > when the queue emptied handed out whatever it liked, how many things
> > would break? I suspect this would cover a lot of bases...
>
> First it would break Unix98 and other standards:
[snip]

Yeah, I reallized it would violate at least POSIX. The discussion was
just bandying about ways to avoid an expensive 'open()' without breaking
lots of utilities and glibc stuff. This might be something that could
be configured for specific server environments, where performance is
more imporant than POSIX/Unix98, but you still don't want to completely
break the system. Just a thought, brain-damaged as it might be. ;-)

regards,
        David

--
David L. Parsley