RE: Linux not adhering to BIOS Drive boot order?

From: Venkatesh Ramamurthy (Venkateshr@ami.com)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2001 - 12:39:25 EST

> From a layering point of view, it makes a lot more sense to
> me for the label (or signature or whatever) for this purpose
> to be in the partition table than inside the filesystem. The
> parts of the system that assign devices their identities already
> know about that part of the disk.
        [Venkatesh Ramamurthy] The LILO boot loader and the LILO command
line utility should be changed for this. There are some issues when we have
different set of labels names for file system and partition table. The LILO
command line utility should make use of the disk labels of the file system
and use this for creating the partition disk label name. This is something
like assigning a label for kernel in lilo.conf. Is anybody doing this?