Re: Linux not adhering to BIOS Drive boot order?

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 04:55:21 EST

David Woodhouse wrote:

> adilger@turbolinux.com said:
> > One reason why this may NOT ever make it into the kernel is that I
> > know "kernel poking at devices" is really frowned upon.
>
> A possible alternative is to specify drives by serial number.

Currently mount(8) supports mounting by '-L <label>' and '-U <UUID>'.
Most modern mke2fs proggies will assign a UUID to each newly created
filesystem. For /etc/fstab, you can specify LABEL=xxx or UUID=xxx
instead of a device name.

The one thing I don't know is... can the kernel mount the root fs if
only given the uuid?

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik       | "You see, in this world there's two kinds of
Building 1024     |  people, my friend: Those with loaded guns