Re: [PLEASE-TESTME] Zerocopy networking patch, 2.4.0-1

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 09:05:43 EST

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> Simple. Because I stated before that I DON'T even want the
> networking to use kiobufs in lower layers. My whole argument is
> to pass a kiovec into the fileop instead of a page, because it
> makes sense for other drivers to use multiple pages,

Now wouldn't it be great if we had one type of data
structure that would work for both the network layer
and the block layer (and v4l, ...) ?

If we constantly need to convert between zerocopy
metadata type, I'm sure we'll lose most of the performance
gain we started this whole idea for in the first place.

cheers,

Rik

http://www.surriel.com/ http://www.conectiva.com/ http://distro.conectiva.com.br/