Re: File System Corruption with 2.2.18

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 20:14:02 EST

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Tim Fletcher wrote:

> > Well that is useless test them because you can not test things completely.
>
> I ment that if the partiton has no persient data on it then the test can
> be run (the test wipes all data on the partition out during the test,
> right?) with no loss of data on the machine. The partition is still on the
> same disk so the test data is valid?
>
> I am thinking that the test is somewhat like badblocks -w or have I got
> the wrong end of the stick?

Sorry there is no stick to get the end of....
This is a pure diagnostic tool the determine OS/CHIPSET/DEVICE failures.
You generate a pattern buffer and write it to the disk and step the buffer
1 byte per sector and go head to tail. Then you read it back head to tail
and compare what should be there with what is there. Failures == FS
corruption is likely under highest loads, period. Then you attempt
to extract any patterns or periodic events to determine if it is driver or
device or other portions of the OS.

I am tired of people pointing the finger at me claim my work is the cause
of FS corruption.

This is a pattern walk and it will give some performance issue.
It does not care about the OS, it is doing the direct access that some
would call bit-bangging in the old days.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
Linux ATA Development