Re: What happened to your kernel changelogs?

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 20:26:02 EST

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Tobias Ringstrom wrote:

> I liked them a lot, and I bet I'm not alone. Are they gone for
> good, or have you just ceased writing them for test kernels?

I like them a lot too.

Without the changelogs Linus is just a "black box"
which outputs random patches.

With a good changelog, we all have a much better idea
what Linus wants and, consequently, what kind of patches
we should give him (and which kind of patches we should
wait with for a week or so).

Also, the changelog items are a good way to keep track
of what's happening with the kernel, it makes it so much
faster to track down exactly when a bug was fixed or
introduced and what change had this effect.

regards,

Rik

http://www.surriel.com/ http://www.conectiva.com/ http://distro.conectiva.com.br/