Re: File System Corruption with 2.2.18

From: Ville Herva (vherva@mail.niksula.cs.hut.fi)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 03:52:01 EST

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 12:45:13AM -0800, you [Andre Hedrick] claimed:

> > But it works on all ATA disks? Does it work for SCSI as well?
>
> The KIOBUFS version may, but not the taskfile version.

Ok.

> > I think it would be cool if you'd make it available (on linux-ide.org?),
> > so that people install servers (and anybody who _cares_) could test their
> > hardware/driver combination before starting using the box.
>
> who is going to ship install images with this kernel code added and the
> most dangerous feature ever create eanble?

I don't think any vendor has to ship it. The memtest86 suite is available
as a floppy image, the harddisk tester could be as well. (Of course with a
LARGE alert saying "THIS *DESTROYS* ALL YOUR HARDDISK CONTENTS, please
unplug everyting you don't want tested to be sure".

> > Now we have memtest86, cpuburn (what more). It would be nice to have a
> > good (if not complete) test set to run on each new linux box. It's not
> > nice to use the box for a month and then go "f..., this box has faulty
> > memory!" or ..."faulty disk!". Yes, that's what's happened to all of us.
> >
> > It's much nicer to get a warranty replacement, when you don't have any
> > data on the disk.
>
> It can do that without a file system also.... ;-)

Yes.

-- v --

v@iki.fi