Re: Linux not adhering to BIOS Drive boot order?

From: Tim Fletcher (tim@parrswood.manchester.sch.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 14:49:36 EST

> What is the difference between physical and logical partitions ?

primary (what you call physical) partitions are partitions in their own
right logical partitions are partitions within a special partition

> How does this solve the "I deleted hda5 and now the old hda6 became
> hda5" problem ?

It doesn't nothing can as the way that the pcbios extended partition works
as a (linked?) list of partitions so removing one shuffles the rest up.

--
   Tim Fletcher - Network manager   .~.
                                    /V\      L   I   N   U   X

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking