Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: Is sendfile all that sexy? (fwd)]]

From: kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 14:59:11 EST

Hello!

> I'm all for TCP_CORK but it has the disavantage of two syscalls for doing the

MSG_MORE was invented to allow to collapse this to 0 of syscalls. 8)

> A new ioctl on the socket should be able to do that (and ioctl looks ligther
> than a setsockopt, ok ignoring actually the VFS is grabbing the big lock
> until we relase it in sock_ioctl, ugly, but I feel good ignoring this fact as
> it will gets fixed eventually and this is userspace API that will stay longer).

setsockopt() exists, which does not have the flaw. (SOL_SOCKET, TCP_DOPUSH)
or something like this. Actually, I would convert TCP_CORK to set of flags
(1 is reserved for current corking), but I feel this operation is more generic
and should be moved to SOL_SOCKET level.

BTW I see no reasons not to move BKL down for ioctl().
It is not a rocket science, plain dumb edit.

Alexey