Re: [off topic] Re: .br blacklisted ?

From: David Ford (david@linux.com)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 22:53:32 EST

Brad Felmey wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jan 2001 18:19:31 -0500, you, "John O'Donnell"
> <johnod@voicefx.com>, wrote:
>
> >Maybe you don't understand.
>
> No, John, it's quite obvious that it's _you_ who does not understand.
> You've saved yourself some spam and pissed off a good deal of the
> kernel list, including the ones who are in the best position to help
> you. Was it a good trade?
>
> When so many clueful folks disagree with you, perhaps you should
> re-examine your actions and ask yourself if they are all wrong, and
> you know better than all of them, or the inverse.

Many disagree, but many here also support ORBS which does some pretty hefty
galaxy wide blacklisting. Some of those that support it are some of the
powers that be in here. I.e. clueful folk.

So you can't fault John for personally effecting a policy similar to what
ORBS does en masse.

It's a vicious circle but nobody wants to take the effort to figure out a way
we can all talk in spite of the filtering. For example, none of the networks
I have permit open relaying and all of them are tested and listed "OK" w/
ORBS, but the only way I can email Alan is to post it here or go use somebody
else's network. We, the internet, route around brokenness. For some things
I arranged relays through their network so I could reach my recipients. What
can you do? Spend connection fee after connection fee for a new provider
because the provider you were with [which has a strong anti-spam TOS] get's
targetted by ORBS? I don't think so.

Yes, it's an aggravation and it isn't going to get any better until enough
people get blacklisted. It doesn't matter how good you, your network, or
your upstream is, as long as there are projects out there that don't care if
they smite 15% good guys as long as they are getting 85% bad guys and there's
nothing reasonable you can do. I don't consider switching providers every
few months reasonable, especially when given providers are very anti spam in
the first place.

-d

--
..NOTICE fwd: fwd: fwd: type emails will be deleted automatically.
      "There is a natural aristocracy among men. The grounds of this are