Re: [Lse-tech] Re: multi-queue scheduler update

From: Tim Wright (timw@splhi.com)
Date: Fri Jan 19 2001 - 12:06:03 EST

Hi Nick,
you can't run with <512K L2 for >2-way on Intel. The 256K L2 cache cumine
procs only support 2-way SMP. For 4-way and greater, you have to use Xeon
procs, and they come in three flavours - 512K, 1M, and 2M. The machine that
Mike is using has 1M parts (which are fairly common at the 4/8-way level).
Hubertus has the 2M parts which are more expensive. By the time you have 8
procs, the 2M part can give a substantial performance boost on some workloads.

Tim

On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 11:33:34AM -0500, nick@snowman.net wrote:
> You might want to rerun the tests with less cache heavy procs. The 2meg
> xeons you are using could distort things from what the average linux user
> would see (running with 256-512k cache).
> Nick
>
> On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Hubertus Franke wrote:
>

> > Sure, we are measuring that as well.
> > We are running all these benchmarks and configurations that I mentioned in
> > my previous message on
> > 1-2-4-6- and 8 way configurations.
> > We have posted some preliminary results on older kernels on the website:
> >
> > http://lse.sourceforge.net/scheduling/prelim.html
> >
> > MQ scheduler is meaningless for a UP kernel that is only build under the
> > SMP flag.
> > The priority==tablebased scheduler does make sense to run on a UP (i.e. not
> > SMP compiled) kernel.
> > Some more fine-tuning of the current code base might improve that case,
> > because affinity is not a concern
> > I can simply go to my top table hash, retrieve the first P entry with
> > !P->has_cpu and I am ready to go.
> >
> > Hubertus Franke
> > Enterprise Linux Group (Mgr), Linux Technology Center (Member Scalability)
> > , OS-PIC (Chair)
> > email: frankeh@us.ibm.com
> > (w) 914-945-2003 (fax) 914-945-4425 TL: 862-2003
> >

> > David Lang <dlang@diginsite.com>@lists.sourceforge.net on 01/19/2001
> > 11:06:37 AM
> >
> > Sent by: lse-tech-admin@lists.sourceforge.net
> >

> > To: Mike Kravetz <mkravetz@sequent.com>
> > cc: Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@suse.de>, <lse-tech@lists.sourceforge.net>,
> > <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
> > Subject: Re: [Lse-tech] Re: multi-queue scheduler update
> >

> > another thing that would be interesting is what is the overhead on UP or
> > small (2-4 way) SMP machines
> >
> > David Lang
> >
> > On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Mike Kravetz wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 16:52:25 -0800
> > > From: Mike Kravetz <mkravetz@sequent.com>
> > > To: Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@suse.de>
> > > Cc: lse-tech@lists.sourceforge.net, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
> > > Subject: Re: [Lse-tech] Re: multi-queue scheduler update

> > mainline O(N)
> > the
> > lots of
> > 2/4/8
> > was done
> > wasn't
> > at the

> > > Thanks for the suggestion. The only reason I hesitated to test with
> > > a small number of threads is because I was under the assumption that
> > > this particular benchmark may have problems if the number of threads
> > > was less than the number of processors. I'll give the tests a try
> > > with a smaller number of threads. I'm also open to suggestions for
> > > what benchmarks/test methods I could use for scheduler testing. If
> > > you remember what people have used in the past, please let me know.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Mike Kravetz mkravetz@sequent.com
> > > IBM Linux Technology Center
> > > -
> [...]

Tim Wright - timw@splhi.com or timw@aracnet.com or twright@us.ibm.com
IBM Linux Technology Center, Beaverton, Oregon
Interested in Linux scalability ? Look at http://lse.sourceforge.net/
"Nobody ever said I was charming, they said "Rimmer, you're a git!"" RD VI