Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: Is sendfile all that sexy? (fwd)]]

From: kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru
Date: Fri Jan 19 2001 - 12:52:53 EST

Hello!

> I thought setsockopt is meant to set an option in the socket,

It is not.

setsockopt() is simply a bit more clever extension to ioctl(),
which is adapted (in bsd style though) to understand layering
and has an explicit length to data.

It is prefered for all the operations on sockets,
and it is "must", if argument is not plain integer or operation
is specific to some protocol layer.

> controls the I/O (aka ioctl ;). Anyways either ioctl or setsockopt is fine in
> pratice

After BKL is moved down.

> NAGLE algorithm is only one, CORK algorithm is another different algorithm.

It is one algorithm. They differ only by amount of incomplete segments
allowed to be in flight. I.e. (in order of increased latency):

"nodelay" - Infinity
unnamed - > 1
"nagle" - 1
"cork" - 0