Re: Firewall netlink question...

From: Philipp Matthias Hahn (pmhahn@titan.lahn.de)
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 04:46:03 EST

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Scaramanga wrote:

> Under Linux 2.2.x I used to be able to use ipchains to send packet to a
> netlink socket so that my userspace application could further analyze
> the packet data.
>
> Since kernel 2.4 and iptables, I have not enjoyed the same functionality,
> has it been deprecated in favour of a better method, if so, what? I ask
> because I just spent my last few hours writing an iptables plugin, and
> netfilter target kernel module, in order to replace the old functionality
> exactly, to the end that my application works with zero modifications.
You might take a look at

$ man iptables
TARGETS
QUEUE means to pass the packet to userspace (if supported by the kernel).

$ sed -n -e '1874,1876p' /usr/src/linux-2.4.0/Documentation/Configure.help
CONFIG_IP_NF_QUEUE
  Netfilter has the ability to queue packets to user space: the
  netlink device can be used to access them using this driver.

$ lynx /usr/share/doc/iptables/html/packet-filtering-HOWTO-7.html

BYtE
Philipp

--
  / /  (_)__  __ ____  __ Philipp Hahn