Re: Total loss with 2.4.0 (release)

From: Kjartan Maraas (kmaraas@online.no)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 08:43:42 EST

Den 23 Jan 2001 13:28:38 -0500, skrev Mike A. Harris:

> Whwnever you install/upgrade any OS and especially M$ ones on a
> multiboot machine, you should always ensure ahead of time that
> they will play nicely together, agree on geometry translation
> schemes, partitioning schemes, etc, and that any option to take
> over the whole machine is turned off. Windows NT defaults to
> "fry the whole disk", but I don't know about ME or W2K as they
> are IMHO just bloat + new pictures, etc..
>
> I know if you have a 8G drive or larger, and install NT4 on it it
> will fry everything entirely unless you stand on your head and
> read about 50 MS kb articles. Thankfully, I will _never_ have to
> encounter this sort of thing again though. ;o)

I'm sitting here doing an install of NT4 on a box with a 10 gig

drive containing three partitions (two W2K and one ext2). The nice NT4
install asked me nicely which partition I wanted to install on:
NTFS 4GB
Unknown 1 GB (ext2)
NTFS 5GB

This doesn't look like "default to fry everything" to me. It's nicer if
we stick to the facts...

Cheers
Kjartan Maraas