Re: hotmail not dealing with ECN

From: Brian May (bam@snoopy.apana.org.au)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 22:03:55 EST

>>>>> "David" == David S Miller <davem@redhat.com> writes:

    David> It says "reserved for future use, must be zero".

Poor choice of wording.

If I was implementing this, I would assume that any packet with a
non-zero value is illegal by this RFC, and act accordingly.

I would assume that this "future use" may require handling of the
packet in a non-standard way, and packets with a non-zero value cannot
be used until the "future use" is better defined.

Also, the above statement should really clarify how routers should
cope if they receive a non-zero value. Drop it, pass it through
unchanged, or set it to zero?

--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>