Re: ps hang in 241-pre10

From: Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Date: Fri Jan 26 2001 - 23:43:24 EST

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 03:34:26PM +1100, John Sheahan wrote:
> Hi
> my box has been running 2.4.1-pre10 for three days.
> This morning I noticed odd behavioue - ps and top wouuld freeze
> with no output.

I had the same problem with 2.4.1-pre10 and the zerocopy patchset.
I came home one day and xmms was frozen. Attempting to determine
whether it was stuck in an odd state, I ran ps aux. At a certain
point (presumably just when it started trying to print info about the
xmms process), ps froze up too. And any attempts to killall -9 these
processes made the killall freeze!

I'm not sure what made xmms freeze up in the first place. My first
though was a problem in the zerocopy patchset -- most of my mp3s are
played over NFS. However, XMMS was completely idle during the time I
was away from the computer, so I'm not sure what caused it. It seemed
clear, however, that the problem was contagious between processes.

I reverted back to 2.4.0-ac7 and have not had any more problems of this
nature.