Bolck Device problem or Compaq Smart array 2 problem? kernel -2.4 .0+

From: Nathan Black (NBlack@md.aacisd.com)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2001 - 11:06:15 EST

Here is my scenario. I have a smart array controller 2. I have 6 logical
drives( one on it's own physical drive). I am using the one drive for data
aquisition from an atm board. To locate my problem, I removed all of the atm
stuff. and I am trying just a read/write. Both show the same symptoms. I
have tried many different kernels.

Here are my results.

2.2.18- works fine. 24 MBytes/sec at 100+ gigabytes (16GB looped many times
( lseek64(FD,SEEK_SET,0) )).

2.4.0 release SMP and Uniprocessor with NMI on- Kernel oops. I can reproduce
if necessary( oops at about 700 MB) sometimes more, sometime less. (In
BDFLUSH if I recall)

2.4.0 release UniProcessor NMI off- Works like the 2.2.18

2.4.1-pre10 & 11- Works but system becomes unusable(requires reboot) after
completing.

Here is my setup.

Compaq Proliant 8500R
4GB Ram
4 Hot Swap 18GB hard disk.
Compaq Smart Array Controller
Linksys Network(10/100 BT) card
8 PIII Xeon w/ 2MB cache Processors.
egcs-2.91.66
redhat 6.2 distribution
I do have a 512 MB swap partition

I am including the code that I have been playing with. It looks very ugly,
but I have tried just about everything I could without going in and trying
to learn how the kernel is written.

I am including the source code for the block write device. and the kernel
configuration from 2.4.1-pre11.
Has anyone else see this problem.

I have tried to write a file to on the filesystem. Looks like a similar
problem.

Nathan <<write.cpp>> <<kernel-2.4.1-pre11-config>>