Re: VIA VT82C686X

From: alex@foogod.com
Date: Wed Jan 31 2001 - 12:49:29 EST

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 12:13:21PM -0500, Stephen Wille Padnos wrote:
> Even though the motherboard *should* perform the same regardless of the amount
> of RAM, it may not. Physically, the refresh needs higher current drive when
> there are more modules. I have seen a BIOS option to set the DRAM refresh
> current (RAS, CAS settable to 10 or 16 mA each), but that was only on one
> motherboard that I can remember - you might want to check for this.

It should also be noted that there are several motherboards out there that
claim to support 1GB or more of RAM which just plain don't, causing problems
like this because the design is inadequate for the power requirements of that
many chips (I have, unfortunately, had to work with some of these). Sometimes
you can work around it using different types of RAM (buffered vs. unbuffered,
etc) but even this is iffy and not something I'd rely on for anything too
important.

-alex