Re: [Kiobuf-io-devel] RFC: Kernel mechanism: Compound event wait /notify + callback chains

From: Christoph Hellwig (hch@caldera.de)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2001 - 07:02:28 EST

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 10:07:44PM +0000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> No. I want something good for zero-copy IO in general, but a lot of
> that concerns the problem of interacting with the user, and the basic
> center of that interaction in 99% of the interesting cases is either a
> user VM buffer or the page cache --- all of which are page-aligned.

Yes.

> If you look at the sorts of models being proposed (even by Linus) for
> splice, you get
>
> len = prepare_read();
> prepare_write();
> pull_fd();
> commit_write();

Yepp.

> in which the read is being pulled into a known location in the page
> cache -- it's page-aligned, again. I'm perfectly willing to accept
> that there may be a need for scatter-gather boundaries including
> non-page-aligned fragments in this model, but I can't see one if
> you're using the page cache as a mediator, nor if you're doing it
> through a user mmapped buffer.

True.

> The only reason you need finer scatter-gather boundaries --- and it
> may be a compelling reason --- is if you are merging multiple IOs
> together into a single device-level IO. That makes perfect sense for
> the zerocopy tcp case where you're doing MSG_MORE-type coalescing. It
> doesn't help the existing SGI kiobuf block device code, because that
> performs its merging in the filesystem layers and the block device
> code just squirts the IOs to the wire as-is,

Yes - but that is no soloution for a generic model. AFAICS even XFS
falls back to buffer_head's for small requests.

> but if we want to start
> merging those kiobuf-based IOs within make_request() then the block
> device layer may want it too.

Yes.

> And Linus is right, the old way of using a *kiobuf[] for that was
> painful, but the solution of adding start/length to every entry in
> the page vector just doesn't sit right with many components of the
> block device environment either.

What do you thing is the alternative?

> I may still be persuaded that we need the full scatter-gather list
> fields throughout, but for now I tend to think that, at least in the
> disk layers, we may get cleaner results by allow linked lists of
> page-aligned kiobufs instead. That allows for merging of kiobufs
> without having to copy all of the vector information each time.

But it will have the same problems as the array soloution: there will
be one complete kio structure for each kiobuf, with it's own end_io
callback, etc.

        Christoph