Re: "kaweth" usb ethernet driver in 2.4?

From: Eric Sandeen (sandeen@sgi.com)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 12:30:07 EST

Michael Rothwell wrote:

> > It also doesn't seem to work in 2.2. :) The original development of
> > this driver was going on at http://drivers.rd.ilan.net/kaweth/ but there
> > have been no updates for quite some time.
>
> Well, it doesn't work you _you_ on 2.2, obviously. But it works for us
> and other people. Can you provide any information to diagnose the
> problem you're having?

I'm sorry, I should have provided that info. I searched the 'net, and
saw many people with problems on several mailing lists, and saw no
solutions, or reports of success, so I assumed that it was a widespread,
possibly even known, problem with the driver.

I'll preface this by saying that Brad Hards sent me an updated version
that works much better, at least as long as the module is loaded before
the device is plugged in.

But here's what I get with a 2.2 kernel and the stock driver:

Kawasaki USB->Ethernet Driver loading...
usb.c: registered new driver kaweth
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 2
Kawasaki Device Probe (Device number:2): 0x0846:0x1001
Device at c2192600
Descriptor length: 12 type: 1
NetGear EA-101 connected...
Reading kaweth configuration
Request type: c0 Request: 0 Value: 0 Index: 0 Length: 12
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 1929
kaweth control message failed (urb addr: c2c05ca0)
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 851
Actual length: 0, length 18
Resetting...
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 854
Downloading firmware at c48abb6c to kaweth device at c31be000...
Firmware length: 3838
Request type: 40 Request: ff Value: 0 Index: 0 Length: efe
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 871
kaweth control message failed (urb addr: c213ab60)
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 877
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 882
Actual length: 0, length 3838
Error downloading firmware (-110), no net device created