Re: [reiserfs-list] ReiserFS Oops (2.4.1, deterministic, symlink related)

From: Brian Wolfe (ahzz@terrabox.com)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 21:50:13 EST

        I hate to say it but I think Hans might have the right answer here. As an administrator that has worked in large multi hundred million dollar companies where 1 hour of downtime == $75,000 in lost income proactive prevention IS the right answer. If the gcc people need to compile with the .96 rh version then they can apply a removal patch hans provides in the crash message. This makes it easy to remove the safeguard and blow yourself up at will after being suitibly called a dumbass.

        I do understand your desire to keep things simple and not put a safetynet out for every single moron out there. Personaly I despise them. But I also understand the evil necessity of doign this for somet hings that are this serious of a risk.

        From the debate raging here is what I gathered is acceptable....

make it blow up fataly and immediatly if it detects Red Hat + gcc 2.96-red_hat_broken(forgot version num)
make it provide a URL to get the patch to remove this safeguard if you really want this.

        The fatal crash should be VERY carefull to only trigger on a redhat system with the broken compiler. And to satisfy your agument that people may need to be able to use it, provide a reverse patch to remove this safeguard in one easy cat file | patch.

        Brian Wolfe