Re: Very high system load writing data to SCSI DVD-RAM

From: Oliver Feiler (kiza@lionking.org)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 14:42:41 EST

Jens Axboe wrote:

> This is an old problem, and not related to the dvd-ram itself. If you
> dirty lots of data and the target device is slow, kswapd/bdflush
> will go crazy trying to free up memory. It should behave better on
> 2.4.1, where we impose a global limit on locked buffers. Try and run
> a vmstat 1 while doing the copy, and send that along.

        Ok, here is it. Started vmstat right before I copied 150 MB to a disc
and let it run until moving the data was finished. The system froze once
during that for about 20 sec and the system load went to about 8.

        Hmm, the system has 192 MB RAM if that may be of importance for the
output of vmstat.

Bye
Oliver

--