[RESOLVED]: kernel hangs on CD-R HP8100i if compiled w/ VIA IDE

From: Henryk Paluch (paluch@KMLinux.fjfi.cvut.cz)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 16:18:05 EST

Hi folks!

Shortly: kernel (2.2.x, 2.4.x) hangs on CD-R HP8100i, VIA KT133 chipset
(w/ ATA100 support) if kernel is compiled with VIA IDE chipset support.
Please, see my previous post from 21 Jan 2001 for full description.

 After little tweaking via82cxxx.c driver I found, that the cause is
'Prefetch Buffer: ' (/proc/ide/via) - if disabled for appropriate IDE
channel, everything works well. It also explains, why the kernel works
properly if VIA IDE support is not compiled in - BIOS leaves Prefetch
disabled (I hacked that driver a bit more to show chipset configuration
either before and after modification).

So I have a little question: What could be a clean way, to make a kernel
option to disable prefetch for VIA (use something like 'ide1=noprefetch'?)
Any idea?

Sincerely
    Henryk Paluch, paluch@kmlinux.fjfi.cvut.cz