Re: [OT] Major Clock Drift

From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo@alsa-project.org)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 02:24:16 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

> > > Unfortunately, that means that if machine crashes in interrupt, it may
> > > "loose" printk message. That is considered bad (tm).
> >
> > The alternative is that the machine clock slides continually and the machine
> > is unusable. This is considered even worse by most people
>
> Neither. I was going to dust off my enhanced "bust_spinlocks"
> patch which sets a little flag when we're doing an
> oops, BUG(), panic() or die(). If the flag
> is set, printk() just punches through the lock.

IMO to treat this as an exception it's not the right solution.

A better alternative is to flush one entry of Alan proposed queue on the
following conditions:
- in_interrupt() is true AND queue is full

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo@alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy