Re: *grin* Windows 2000 & HPC: Scalable, Inexpensive

From: Gnea (gnea@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2001 - 09:01:26 EST

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 09:21:24AM -0500, Mike Harrold wrote:

> > At 9:10 am +0000 14/2/2001, David Howells wrote:
> > >How this for a laugh:
> > >
> > >http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/hpc/indstand.asp
> > >

> > Can anybody say "Beowulf cluster"? I bet you need a W2K license for every
> > box you hook up, too.
>
> The sad thing is, 3/4 of the page is an outright lie. It isn't
> a first, W2k is not the de facto standard OS, and the TCO is
> significantly higher than any cluster running Linux.

That's right, extreme linux has been around for years, and now they've
changed the name to Scyld Linux at www.scyld.com .. I managed to pick up
a couple of cds of scyld linux at lwe a couple of weeks ago.. I have yet
to install it but i did boot it up.... all i can say is SHWEEET!! found
my ata66 stuff right off the bat... it's based on redhat 6.2 but they've
made some VERY nice changes to the installation procedure... on top of
that, you only really need to install it on the master node... just boot
the cd in all of the slave nodes for each to become a node. no hard
drives required. :)

--
    .oO Gnea [gnea at rochester dot rr dot com] Oo.
         .oO url: http://garson.org/~gnea Oo.

"You can tune a filesystem, but you can't tuna fish." -unknown - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/