Re: Linux stifles innovation...

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 04:36:10 EST

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Helge Hafting wrote:

> They are wrong about linux stifling innovation, there is plenty of
> innovation in linux itself.

Indeed. If Linux did nothing new, what do they have to fear?!

> On the other hand:
> ''I can't imagine something that could be worse than this
> for the software business and the intellectual-property business.''

Linux IS (part of) the software business, though! That's like saying
Walmart is bad for shops - it is bad for OTHER, COMPETING shops.

> Sure. Linux *is* bad for the IP business. Open source outcompetes it!

Eh? Linux IS intellectual property! OK, those in the OSS community are
rather less litigious AFAICS, which is bad for IP *lawyers* - in much the
same way antibiotics are "bad" for diseases...

> I see no problem with that though. And those who want to get
> paid for computing work? No problem. There is always support.

Hrm. Getting paid to write code is preferable, IMHO...

James.