Re: Linux stifles innovation...

From: Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Date: Sat Feb 17 2001 - 15:14:07 EST

On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 03:05:36PM -0500, Dennis wrote:
> At 07:01 PM 02/16/2001, Alan Olsen wrote:
> >On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Dennis wrote:

> > > There is much truth to the concept, although Microsoft should not be ones
> > > to comment on it as such.

> >What truth? I have seen more "innovation" in the Open Source movement
> >than I ever have in my 18+ years of being a professional programmer.

> You are confusing "progress" with "innovation". If there is only 1 choice,
> thats not innovation. Expanding on a bad idea, or even a good one, is not
> innovation.

        I think you are obviously the one who is confused. You are right.
If there is only 1 choice, that's not innovation. And that's what closed
source is. Open source is typically castigated because it HAS SO MANY
choices. We are often overwhelmed by choices. Sometimes, those choices
narrow through natural selection and evolution, and that's a good thing too.
Close source is the mono-choice. You take what the vendor gives you and
that's it. If it doesn't work, tough, wait for the next release cycle
and pay us again to fix our bugs. That's real innovative.

> Designing something differently to make it better is innovation. I suppose
> you could argue that redesigning linux every few years is innovation, but
> unfortunately its the same cast of characters doing it, so its not very
> innovative.

        I think I agree with the comment that I've seen more innovation in
the open source movement than anything that has come out of closed source.
One could very safely argue that the entire Internet grew out of a form
of Open Source movement. Closed source gave us things like EDI and SNA
and SDLC and a host of other proprietary ideas and networks that have been
buried by the Internet. "Profs" (IBM's idea of E-Mail) was swamped by SMTP.
The Web originated in Open Source. Entire markets have sprung up where
there was none before out of Open Source.

        No... Close Source and proprietary protocols are then anthema to
BOTH progress and innovation. When innovation is done in a close arena, it
gets done for closed limited ideas and tightly restricted to what profits
the inventors and nothing more. It's when it becomes more open that the
real innovation occurs and things are created that the original inventors
never envisioned.

        Without Open Source and it's predecessors, we would not have the
Internet as we know it today. Companies back then (and I worked for
some of them) could not envision a network as we know it now. Several
of them saw no future what so ever in the "Internet". One of them even
went so far as to proclaim that Novell was the be all and end all of
networking and nothing would ever amount to anything on this petty worthless
Internet thing.

        History has proved them wrong and history has proved that Open
Source is the provider of choices not the limiter of choices.

 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@WittsEnd.com
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/