Re: Reiserfs, 3 Raid1 arrays, 2.4.1 machine locks up

From: James A. Pattie (james@pcxperience.com)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 16:06:21 EST

Tom Sightler wrote:

> > > There seem to be several reports of reiserfs falling over when memory is
> > > low. It seems to be undetermined if this problem is actually reiserfs
> or MM
> > > related, but there are other threads on this list regarding similar
> issues.
> > > This would explain why the same disk would work on a different machine
> with
> > > more memory. Any chance you could add memory to the box temporarily
> just to
> > > see if it helps, this may help prove if this is the problem or not.
> > >

> > Out of all the old 72 pin simms we have, we have it maxed out at 48 MB's.
> I'm
> > tempted to take the 2 drives out and put them in the k6-2, but that's too
> much
> > of a hassle. I'm currently going to try 2.4.1-ac19 and see what happens.
> >
> > The machine does have 128MB of swap space working, and whenever I've
> checked
> > memory usage (while the system was still responding), it never went over a
> > couple megs of swap space used.
>
> Ah yes, but, from what I've read, the problem seems to occur when
> buffer/cache memory is low (<6MB), you could have tons of swap and still
> reach this level.
>
> Later,
> Tom

You were right! I managed to find another 32MB of memory to bump it up to 64
MB total and it worked perfectly. It appears that I had only about 4 MB of
buffer/cache in the 48 MB system and over 15MB in the 64 MB system. I did my
install and switched back to the 48MB running normally and its working just
fine.

Thanks,

--
James A. Pattie