Re: [NFS] Re: problems with reiserfs + nfs using 2.4.2-pre4

From: Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 07:43:08 EST

> - cannot do ".." lookups efficiently, or doesn't want to and
> - can protect against this sort of loop (and any other issues
> that
> the VFS usually protects against) itself

> then it can (with my patch) simply define decode_fh and
> encode_fh and do whatever it likes, such as create a dentry
> that isn't properly connected.

Do we really want to design for this though?

Being able to look up the parent directory is explicitly encoded in
all revisions of the NFS protocol. In NFSv2/v3 the names '.' and '..'
have a clearly defined meaning, whereas in NFSv4 you are required to
support LOOKUPP.

I can't speculate about the needs of other networked filesystems which
may want to use this handle interface, but as far NFS is concerned we
are not interested in considering such special cases.

Cheers,
  Trond