Re: Linux 2.4.1ac20

From: Richard A Nelson (cowboy@vnet.ibm.com)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 10:12:33 EST

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Richard A Nelson wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Alan Cox wrote:
>

> > Can you stick an if(dev!=NULL) in front of that and let me know if that
> > fixes it - just to verify thats the problem spot
>
> Compiling now, will reboot in the am (if it aint done soon) -
> don't want it rebooting all night if this isn't it ;-}

Sigh, it appears that the problem is actually neither of the above
lines.

I even tried 2.4.2 and had the same problem, then I noticed that 2.4.2
also contains the same update ;-}

I put an if(dev == NULL)printk...else in both spots and rebooted.

Then (I gotta start drinking more coffee, or increase Copenhagen
intake), I noticed that the actual oops is from modprobe!!!!

I've not been able to get a oops trace because the error either causes
a reboot, or hang (either case, e2fsck is run at reboot).

Heres some system info that might be useful:
Kernel modules 2.4.2
Gnu C 2.95.3
Gnu Make 3.79.1
Binutils 2.10.91.0.2
Linux C Library 2.2.2
Dynamic linker ldd (GNU libc) 2.2.2
Procps 2.0.7
Mount 2.10s
Net-tools 2.05
Console-tools 0.2.3
Sh-utils 2.0.11

I'll be happy to reboot and capture the oops, if someone can help me
make sure it gets logged (serial console not a possibility, the other
box is currently in pieces).

--
Rick Nelson
Life'll kill ya                         -- Warren Zevon