Re: Stale NFS handles on 2.4.2

From: Neil Brown (neilb@cse.unsw.edu.au)
Date: Sun Feb 25 2001 - 00:43:46 EST

On Saturday February 24, dfries@umr.edu wrote:
> I have my home directory mounted on one computer from another. I
> rebooted the server and now the client is saying Stale NFS file handle
> anytime something goes to read my home directory. It has been this
> way for about a day. Shouldn't any caches expire by now?

It isn't that a cache needs to expire. It sounds like it is a cache
that needs to be filled.

The kernel keeps a cache of ip addresses that are allowed access to
particular filesystems. This is visible through /proc/fs/nfs/exports.
It is filled at reboot by "exportfs -a" or "exportfs -r" which gets
information from /etc/exports and /var/lib/nfs/rmtab.

So check that /etc/exports contains the right info.
Check that /var/lib/nfs/rmtab lists the filesystems and clients that
you expect to have access, and then run "exportfs -av"

NeilBrown