Re: reiserfs: still problems with tail conversion

From: Erik Mouw (J.A.K.Mouw@ITS.TUDelft.NL)
Date: Sun Feb 25 2001 - 12:32:01 EST

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 05:37:52PM +0100, Erik Mouw wrote:
> I upgraded to 2.4.2, and initially I couldn't reproduce the problem.
> Besides the kernel version difference, another difference was the fact
> that I did the 2.4.2. test on a freshly booted system, while the
> 2.4.2-pre4 test was done on a system with quite some VM pressure:
> uptime a couple of days, running acroread, netscape, xemacs, couple of
> gnome-terminals with large scroll back buffers (10000 lines).
>
> John Adams told me that the data didn't hit the disk on his system and
> that he had to add O_SYNC to the open()s. After I did that, I could
> reproduce the problem on linux-2.4.2, with the strange results that the
> bug is in *every* file with initial size >=1024 bytes.

Hohum, this is probably because I forgot to close() the file in the
read() part of the test... *blush*

I just reran the test on my laptop (arthur: Celeron (Coppermine) 500,
128MB, SuSE 7.0 + updates, linux-2.4.2, gcc-2.95.2) and got "only" 963
errors. I also ran the test om my desktop (zaphod: AMD K6-3D/333,
160MB, Debian 2.2 + updates, linux-2.4.2-pre4+reiserfs patch,
gcc-2.95.2) and got 888 errors.

An interesting observation is that the two systems have the bugs in
almost the same places. Attached is a diff between the output files of
both systems.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl