Re: Sytem slowdown on 2.4.1-ac20 (recurring from 2.4.0)

From: Andrew Morton (andrewm@uow.edu.au)
Date: Mon Feb 26 2001 - 19:43:50 EST

Vibol Hou wrote:

> I've reported this problem a long while ago, but no one answered my pleas.
> To tell you the honest truth, I don't know where to begin looking. It's
> difficult to poke around when the serial console is unresponsive :/

Sounds like a network driver problem.

Are you still getting the "hordes" of Tx timeouts with the
3c905B which you reported a week ago?

If so, do they only start coming out when the slowdown occurs?

You are probably a victim of the APIC bug. A
workaround for this is present in 2.4.2-ac5. Alternatively,
boot the kernel with the `noapic' LILO option.

Please let us know the outcome.